TASC bike ride 2018
Stage 1 (1st Oct) - Manchester to Sheffield. Roughly 80kms over hilly roads with some epic views across the peak district.
Stage 2 (2nd Oct) - Sheffield to Nottingham. A 65km day with some steady undulation.
Stage 3 (3rd Oct) - Nottingham to Birmingham. 92km across the Black Country. Expect some short, sharp climbs and a steady finish to Birmingham.
Stage 4 (4th Oct) - Birmingham to Oxford. A solid day of riding. We'll skirt around the Cotswolds with a total of 120km covered.
Stage 5 (5th Oct) - Oxford to London. Total distance 85km. A day of two halves: a morning of challenging climbs to cross the Chilterns followed by an afternoon of urban riding as we make our way into London.
Stage 6 (6th Oct) - London to Brighton. 110km. As we head to the South Coast, we'll head out of London bright and early to avoid the worst of the traffic, and make our way through the South Downs, where one final challenge awaits just 5km from the finish.
How fit do I need to be?
For this type of challenge, you can expect either distance (up to 80km) or altitude gain (around 5-600m). But not both! For example, if you climb, the distance will be less.
These events would suit someone active and of good all-round fitness. You should be taking regular exercise, consisting of regular bike rides and possibly other sports (eg. swimming, football, etc). You should be comfortable in undertaking long country rides of up to 6 hours or 60km in the lowland English countryside. Your training rides will encounter a few reasonable length hills.
Please note: it is extremely important for this physical challenge that you are in good health. If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, please consider carefully whether you should be joining the challenge. Please ensure you complete the registration form accurately and honestly: this is important. In the case of serious conditions (epilepsy, diabetes, heart conditions, recent illness, or operations), please discuss the challenge with your GP. Please also ensure you notify us of any allergies or similar. Failure to disclose medical conditions is a serious omission that could have serious repercussions.
This event requires stamina and good aerobic fitness - but good willpower will also come in handy!
Included in the event
- Route and navigation planning
- Experienced international cycle leader
- Support vehicle and mechanical back up
- First aiders
- Snacks, lunch, and finish meal
- Cycling jersey, which should be worn on the day
Excluded from the event
- Transfers to the start and from the finish
- Bike (alternatively, a bike can be hired at an additional cost of £20/day if needed. Please book via the registration form if required)
- Water bottles
- Lamps (front and rear. Head torch can be worn)
- Puncture repair kit
- Pump (suitable for your valve type)
- Helmet (compulsory)
Registration fee and fundraising target
To enter this event, there is a registration fee of £20 towards administration costs.
All cyclists are asked to raise a minimum of £250 in aid of TASC. We will provide all participants with a fundraising pack filled with tips and ideas to help you maximise fundraising opportunities.
Please note: If you would like to enter multiple stages, the registration fee remains unchanged but the fundraising target increases as follows:
- Any one stage : £250 fundraising target
- Any two stages : £400 fundraising target
- Any three stages : £550 fundraising target
- Any four stages : £700 fundraising target
- Any five stages : £850 fundraising target
- All six stages : £1,000 fundraising target
Need more inspiration?
Your fundraising will help us to support more ambulance staff and their families in their time of need. For example:
- £250 could pay towards essential household furnishings
- £500 could pay towards PTSD treatment via the Red Poppy Company
- £750 could pay towards specialist disability equipment
- £1,000 could pay towards general living expenses in times of difficulty
- £1,500 could pay towards physical rehabilitation at the Police Treatment Centre.
Don't delay; sign up today!
If you have any quesions or would like to participate but can't get to any of the locations listed above, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org / 024 7798 7922.